GIS is being used in many industries and is helping organizations to perform more effectively, efficiently and to provide more satisfactory service.
The use of GIS is also wide spread across the world – GIS is used in Florida to forecast weather and track storms, New Zealand to automatically generate aeronautical navigational charts, South Africa to manage water and solid waste and Ecuador to track milk delivery.
Build your GIS solution to gain the same benefits as shown by these other applications of GIS.
GIS use by Industry
- Defense and Intelligence
- Electric and Gas: A successful energy supplier must take advantage of all its resources. Equipment, facilities, crews, customers, and even system events have an aspect that can be associated with a physical location. Integrating GIS is making this possible. CenterPoint Energy, Inc. Texas, US,, uses GIS across its enterprise to save money and manage its assets more efficiently. Energy companies in more than 100 countries around the world, also uses GIS to model its electrical systems.
- Fire/Emergency Medical Service/Disaster
- Forestry: GIS provides foresters and natural resource managers with powerful tools for better analysis and decision making. GIS lets foresters perform tasks like long-term supply strategies, forecasting silvicultural stock, determining harvesting system options, and more. For example, IntelliGIS has been used as a building block within the South Africa’s forestry industry for a complete GIS solution.
- Health and Human Services
- Insurance: Insurance companies have implemented GIS to visualize, analyze, and manage portfolio risk.
- Landscape Architecture
- Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice: Information about the location of a crime, incident, suspect, or victim is often critical in determining the manner and size of the response.
- Libraries and Museums
- Marine, Coast, and Oceans
- Mining and Earth Sciences
- Petroleum: Where to drill, route a pipeline, or build a refinery are all questions that rely heavily on an understanding of geography to make the right business decisions. GIS is widely implemented in these areas as well as petrol tanker tracking.
- State and Local Government
- Water and Wastewater
- October 3, 2012 @ 06:28:59 [Current Revision] by Paul
- October 3, 2012 @ 06:28:04 by Paul
- October 3, 2012 @ 04:23:15 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 03:56:57 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 03:42:39 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:57:59 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:57:29 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:56:41 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:55:25 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:54:57 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:54:30 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:53:42 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:52:46 by Paul