When choosing your GIS software, being either a GIS specialist or organisation needing a complete GIS software package, it can be daunting deciphering the functional differences between offerings. For example, what is the difference between ArcView and ArcEditor, and why do the cost so much? Why is MapInfoclassed as more suitable for demographic data? And how can IntelliGIS cost a fraction of the price of ArcEditor yet offer so much functionality? To save you the headache, the software comparison below is a starting point for comparing ArcView, MapInfo, ArcEditor, IntelliGIS and Global Mapper.
MapInfo, ArcEditor, IntelliGIS & Global Mapper Compared
|Vendor||Pitney Bowes||ESRI||ISS||Blue Marble Geographics|
|Usability||Regarded as one of the most usable GIS
offerings providing XP/Vista style interface.
|Windows 2000 style interfaces look dated,
though tools are still intuitive to use.
|Windows XP & Vista Style interface
provides familiarity with intuitive visual tools & wizards.
|Very easy to use although the “hidden” features can be
rather cumbersome to find.
|Price||US$ 1994 approx.
per license. Not pricing is readily available
so approach reseller for quote.
per licensing plus maintenance costs. This excludes any ArcInfo
functionality which is an additional US$14,000.
1000 per license
(optional extensions & customisations cost extra)
|$399 per license|
|Verdict||Very attractive & user-friendly
& widely used for more demographic GIS needs. Its moderate
is preferred to ESRI products.
For attribute data focused GIS.
|Most extensive, spatially focused GIS, but
very costly & restrictive in terms of object model &
Only for very serious spatial GIS Specialists with budget.
for money given
scope of functionality, openGIS, RDBMS use and data formats supported.
|Best Value for the money given scope of functionaltiy
and supported formats!
|Download Trial||N/A||N/A||N/A||Download Trial|
- July 19, 2015 @ 03:57:30 [Current Revision] by Paul
- July 19, 2015 @ 03:57:30 by Paul
- April 23, 2013 @ 16:36:05 by Paul
- October 3, 2012 @ 06:28:05 by Paul
- October 3, 2012 @ 05:43:57 [Autosave] by Paul
- October 3, 2012 @ 04:23:15 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:45:17 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:44:09 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:43:39 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:42:58 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:42:35 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:41:47 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:41:03 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:39:21 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:36:03 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:25:59 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 19:22:31 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:15:00 by Paul
- June 25, 2012 @ 01:14:59 by Paul
- June 24, 2012 @ 17:38:35 by Paul